General Recommendations

Home Forums Recommendations General Recommendations

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      CDB
      Keymaster

What are your favorites aka which dramas would you recommend to others in general?

Fishy Tayle
        Participant
        • Topics0
        • Replies4

For a fresh series with wuxia concept, Ever Night would be my first choice. Family/political, NIF. Weird plot that almost to good to be true, An Oriental Odyssey. Light hearted xianxia, Zhao Yao/The Legends. I’m not into modern drama, but if its about crime/mystery, I would suggest Memory Lost/Tomb series. Gorgeous fantasy would be Ice Fantasy. Action/Adventure fantasy would be Chusen Series. Angst theme would be All that is bitter is sweet (Ruco Chan)/Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost. All time nostalgia, Devil Beside You. Cute couple romance, Just You/Murphy’s Law of Love. Wing-theme fantasy, Novoland The Castle in the Sky. Fallen kingdom theme, Secret of the Three Kingdoms. BL-theme, Heroin/Guardian. Would-be BL theme, Bromance. Weird romance, Bloody Romance. The next hype after NIF, Tribes and Empires – Storm of Prophecy. School-theme, Suddenly, This Summer/When We Were Young. Revenge theme (Republican-era), 1949/The Decoded.

Ok I have list out a lot. SO TIRING~

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Fishy Tayle.
          CDB
          Keymaster

Thank you for the many recommendations!
            Just in case anyone is wondering what NIF stands for: Nirvana in Fire

Cee En
          Participant
          • Topics2
          • Replies10
          • Casual Participant
          • ★★

If you’re looking for youth/high school/coming of age dramas, I don’t think you can beat the one-two punch of With You and My Huckleberry Friends. I would also like to recommend both Romance of Our Parents and Like a Flowing River. They’re both broad in scope and epic in the sense that we’re following groups of people over a length of time. But they’re also intimate as we get to see relationships and bonds between people grow and strengthen over time. All of these dramas are underseen (at least among International viewers) but I would consider them among the best that I’ve watched.

Daisy
          Participant
          • Topics8
          • Replies40
          • Casual Participant
          • ★★

Medical Examiner Dr. Qin (first season with Zhang Ruo Yun) – a really good mystery/investigation drama with more brutal cases
          Sound Of The Desert – my personal favorite historical romance drama with an amazing cast like Hu Ge, Liu Shi Shi and Peng Yu Yan. It’s already an old drama but I decided to include it for the new fans of Chinese dramas.
          Nirvana In Fire and The Rise of Phoenixes – if you’re looking for historical/political drama
          The Story of Ming Lan – as the title says it’s the story of Ming Lan so there is love and politics but the main focus is life and family.
          Story Of Yanxi Palace – palace harem drama with a strong female lead. A lot of intrigues, plotting and betrayal.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Daisy.
          bingl
          Participant
          • Topics0
          • Replies1

Da Ming Wang Chao 1566 or Dynasty of Ming at 1566, 2007. It’s a difficult one even for Chinese native.
          Ni Shui Han, 2004. Based on the novel of Wen Ruian, an HK wuxia author.
          Three Kindoms, 2010. Based on the novel of The Romance of the Three Kindoms. There are so-called Four Great Classical Novels in Chinese history namely Journey to the West, The Dream of the Red Chamber, The Story by the Water Margin, The Romance of the Three Kindoms. I personaly like the novel The Dream of the Red Chamber most, but its recent TV version is not that good.

There are many good HK series, but I’m not sure if they are considered cdrama.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by bingl.
      Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.