Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Cee En
      Participant
      • Topics2
      • Replies10
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

What were everyone’s favorite Chinese movies from 2018?

Personally, I felt there were a good number of them released last year. My favorites were:
      Ash Is Purest White, An Elephant Sitting Still, Shadow and Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings. I also liked Animal World and Us and Them.

I still need to watch Long Day’s Journey into Night, Dead Pigs and Last Letter.

Daisy
      Participant
      • Topics8
      • Replies40
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

I really liked Cry Me A Sad River. It had great cinematography and the actors did amazing job especially Ren Min and I’m glad that they decided to have a different ending from the novel.

Cee En
      Participant
      • Topics2
      • Replies10
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

Ren Min was indeed great in Cry Me a Sad River. She has an upcoming role in a drama with Wang Kai, “Held in the Lonely Castle”.

Daisy
        Participant
        • Topics8
        • Replies40
        • Casual Participant
        • ★★

I’m definitely going to watch Held in the Lonely Castle if there are subtitles of course 😀 Wang Kai stars in amazing dramas excluding Stay with Me. He looks so youthful I’ll find it hard to believe that Ren Min is going to play his daughter.

Cee En
          Participant
          • Topics2
          • Replies10
          • Casual Participant
          • ★★

Same! I’ve at the very least liked every drama that I have watched starring Wang Kai so I guess I’ll take your word and avoid Stay With Me to main that perfect track record 🙂

It’s going to be especially weird since the last drama I watched with Wang Kai, he was a young college student (albeit he was in his late 20s and father of a toddler by the end of the drama) and now he’ll be the father of a teenage daughter. Versatility!

Daisy
      Participant
      • Topics8
      • Replies40
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

A few days ago I watched Shadow and I can only say ‘WOW’. That movie had twist after twist. The first part was rather slow but the second part of the movie was amazing. The fight scenes were awesome especially the one with the umbrella. The ending was perfect!!!

I heard Go Brother will have a sequel. Has anyone watched it? I’m halfway through the drama and I don’t want to see a spoiler so I’ll finish the drama first before watching the movie adaptation.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Daisy.
      Cee En
      Participant
      • Topics2
      • Replies10
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

Lol pretty much had the same thoughts in regards to Shadow.

I thought Go Brother was pretty decent. Zhang Zifeng and Peng Yuchang were a nice bro-sis duo, Zifeng in particular stood out for her performance. I’m not sure how similar the movie is to the drama version but certain events in the film version didn’t feel well developed or fleshed out which I heard the drama version does better but I guess that’s a given with the additional runtime.

Noelia
      Participant
      • Topics7
      • Replies34
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

As Daisy said, “Cry me a sad river” is a beautiful movie. The director did a great job. The music and the cinematography are amazing. I didn’t read the book. Maybe the series adaptation is in line with the book.

Daisy
        Participant
        • Topics8
        • Replies40
        • Casual Participant
        • ★★

I haven’t read the book too but I plan to. It’s a little dark so I’ll read it when I’m mentally prepared 😀
        About following the content of the book according to this article they will make a lot of changes in the drama. Also those heavy topics were omitted in the movie too so I guess both adaptations don’t follow the original story.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Daisy.
          Noelia
          Participant
          • Topics7
          • Replies34
          • Casual Participant
          • ★★

I didn’t read that article. We will not see something like “rape, teenage pregnancy and suicide” in a chinese drama. Thanks for the information!

Hilary P. Coruna
      Participant
      • Topics11
      • Replies31
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

Cry me a sad river really got my tears like a real river!

Daisy
      Participant
      • Topics8
      • Replies40
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

I finally watched Go Brother! I waited for 2 weeks after finishing the drama adaptation because I thought I might compare them too much and I won’t be able to enjoy the movie. Fortunately, that didn’t happen because the drama and the movie are really different. The biggest difference is that in the drama adaptation Shi Fen and Shi Miao’s parents are already divorced while in the movie they’re in the process of separating. That really brought a whole different feeling to the movie. Initially I didn’t expect much from it because it’s not easy to tell their story in just 2 hours but the movie managed to do it and perfectly portrayed the love-hate relationship the siblings had. Both actors were really good in the movie but I was more impressed with Peng Yu Chang because he did an amazing job with the goofy but loving brother. Another thing I noticed is that in Go Brother! the focus was more on Shi Miao while in Take My Brother Away we saw more of Shi Fen. Also while the drama adaptation was more funny and comical the movie was more on the emotional side. I recommend watching both because they manage to tell the same story in their own unique way.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Daisy.
      Hilary P. Coruna
      Participant
      • Topics11
      • Replies31
      • Casual Participant
      • ★★

do you know any 2019 movies ongoing/finished by 2018 that has a genre of romance, historical but fantasy type like love 020 by angela baby or yang yang in ten miles of peach blossoms?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.